Statistics of Marriage and Divorce 2016
As per the legal system of the Maldives, the registration of marriages, divorce, alimony, child custody, and other family matters are decided by the courts of the Maldives. In this respect in Maleâ€™ the registration of marriages and other family matters are overseen by the Family Court which is a Superior Court and in the Atolls such matters are overseen by the Magistrate Courts established in the respective island. Such matters are decided by the courts in accordance with the rules specified in the Family law and subsequent Family Regulation.
- There were a total of 5488 marriages registered in 2016. Out of the marriages registered in 2016, a total of 2304 were registered in the Family Court and total of 3184 were registered in the Magistrate Courts. In the year 2015 there were a total of 5763 marriages.
- Number of monogamous marriages registered in 2016 stands at 5273. This is a decrease of 5% when compared to the statistics of 2015. Number of monogamous marriages registered in 2015 stands at 5541.
- When compared to 2015 the number of marriages to a second wife decreased by 5% in 2016. There were a total of 165 marriages to a second wife in 2015 and in 2016 this number fell to 157.
- Statistics show that in 2016 a total of 34 marriages to foreign women were registered. And 24 marriages to foreign men were registered.
- Men between the ages of 26 and 39 years recorded the highest number of marriages registered in 2016. Among women the highest number of marriages in 2016 were recorded for the age group between 18 and 25 years.
- The statistics of marriages in the age group below 18 years show that the number of marriages fell in 2016 when compared to that of 2015. The total of number of marriages in the age group below 18 years stood at 16 in 2015 and in 2016 this number fell to 10 marriages. 5 females and 5 males make up this statistic.
- Out of the 5488 marriages registered in 2016, it was the first marriage for 50% of the men. That is a total of 2773 marriages. The statistics of the number of first marriages for females in 2016 stands at 49.5% that is a total of 2716 marriages.
- 11% of males and 11% of females had their 4th marriage or a marriage above that number registered in 2016.
- In 2016 there were a total of 3471 divorces registered. This is a drop of 59 divorces when compared to the numbers of 2015. There were a total of 3358 divorces registered in 2015. Out of the divorces registered in 2016, 1341 divorces were registered in the Family Court and 2076 divorces were registered in Magistrate Courts.
- The maximum number of divorces registered in 2016 were from people between the age group of 26 and 39 years.
- Out of the 3417 divorces registered in 2016, 1460 divorces were carried out as according to the law. And a total of 1850 divorces were carried out in contravention to the law. According to Article 23 of the Family Law, if a man wants to divorce his wife, it has to be done after submitting the matter to the relevant court and with the permit of the judge. Any divorce outside this is seen as a divorce in contravention to the law. Divorce in contravention to the law is an offence.
- In 2016 a total of 6 marriages were annulled and 101 marriages were dissolved. â€œFaskhâ€ means the annulment of a marriage either because the conditions for entering into the contract were not fulfilled at the time of matrimony or a reason which transpired after the contract was entered into, invalidated the marriage. Article 28 of the Family Law prescribes the conditions for the annulment of a marriage.
A â€œthafreeqâ€ refers to the judicial dissolution of a marriage on confirmation by the court of the existence of a reason as specified by the Islamic Shariâ€™a which nullifies marital relations between husband and wife.