The legal clinic established on initiative of the Supreme Court of the Maldives is a special project carried out to facilitate for access to justice.
The aim of the project is to assist those in need of legal counsel, educate the public on legal and judicial processes and procedures related to court cases, provide information on seeking assistance of legal counsel as provided for in Article 53 of the Constitution and to ensure that the constitutional right is guaranteed.
Furthermore, it aims to pave the way for the public to have easy access to justice to a level hitherto not achieved anywhere in the world. There is a court within walking distance to any community of the Maldives.
In the Maldives the courts are classified based on the population and number of cases registered.
The judicial map of the Maldives considers each Atoll as a judicial region. It is mandatory that each inhabited island has a court. Any island with a populace of over 500 must have a Magistrate stationed in the island.
Aim of the Legal Clinic
- As per Article 53 of the Constitution of the Maldives which guarantees assistance of legal counsel, the main aim of the clinic is to facilitate for any citizen in need of assistance of legal counsel to get the service they require in a quick and easy manner.
- Create awareness on the order of court processes and on dispute resolution by the courts.
- Provide information on the services provided by lawyers, how to get assistance of a lawyer and information on the lawyersâ€™ registry.
- Provide contact information of registered lawyers to those seeking the assistance of legal counsel.
- Provide contact information of Marriage Officials for those who request the information.
- Provide information on procedures to follow in relation to cases filed at the courts.
- Provide assistance to persons seeking Acts and Regulations.
- Provide other information related to the Judiciary needed by any person.
Service Centre of the Clinic
Since the clinic is an initiative of the Supreme Court of the Maldives established at the Department of Judicial Administration, the Department will provide the services. Department of Judicial Administration is located at Maafannu Theemuge, Aaburuzu Hingun.
How to get the Service
Any person wishing to get the service from the clinic has to submit a request to the Department of Judicial Administration pertaining to which the service will be made available. Also a person can visit the Department of Judicial Administration for the service. In Addition if a request is sent by fax or email, the Department will contact the person in order to provide the service.